We’re fairly easy-going here at Opening Line and would like our contributors to feel free to create anything they want. We do have still have a few rules we would like you to follow when submitting your content to us: –
- We do not accept late entries.
- Every issue has a theme. Our current theme is found on the This Quarter’s Theme page.
- Your submission must be your own work. We don’t want any lawsuits and we’re sure you don’t either. You will be informed via email if your entry has been selected.
- You retain copyright to your own work. Entries promoted by Opening Line do not become our property at any point after publication.
- We’re completely okay with you sending in resubmissions from other competitions, and for you to use your OL submission in other competitions.
HOW TO SUBMIT
- Send your submission to email@example.com with the format, title, genre and your name in the subject heading. For example:
SHORT STORIES, The Last Door, Horror/Supernatural, Jane Bloggs
- Please include contact details i.e. author website or Twitter handle.
- Submissions are accepted as email body text and attachments (MS Word, .doc, .docx, etc.)
- Opening Line will not tolerate or publish any work promoting racism, sexism, or any other offensive opinion.
- All submissions must be proof-read before they’re submitted. If spelling mistakes or bad grammar are intentional and integral to your piece, please let us know in the submission email.
Word limits vary depending on which format you are writing in. They are as follows:
- Short stories: 300-3,000 words
- Novel excerpts: 1,000-3,000 words
- Poetry: Upper limit – the length of 2 A4 pages
- Illustrations: Single page spread (please submit in high-resolution .jpg or .png)
- Book reviews: 300-500 words
- General interest articles: 1,000-3,000 words